The Southeast Asian country of Cambodia has become a number-one holiday destination for visitors from all over the world in recent years. In 2018 only, Cambodia received more than 6 million international tourists, which is a new record for the country’s tourism industry in comparison to previous years. Out of those travelers, a total of 7,000 were Portuguese nationals who visited the country for touristic reasons mostly.
While neighboring nations such as Thailand and Vietnam have long been famous for their attractions, Cambodia has a wealth of history, scenery, and culture to offer tourists and travelers.
Anyone planning a vacation to Cambodia from Portugal is advised to apply for a Cambodian eVisa before they go. While there are multiple Cambodian visa types available, the Cambodian e-Visa permits Portuguese passport holders to enter Cambodia for tourism purposes and can be obtained quickly and easily online.
Visa Requirements for Portuguese Passport Holders
Visa requirements to Cambodia for Portuguese citizens state that, in order to obtain an eVisa, applicants must possess three key items:
- Valid Portuguese passport: all Portuguese nationals traveling to Cambodia must apply for their electronic visa using a Portuguese passport that is currently valid. Furthermore, this passport must remain valid for at least six months following the holder’s intended date of arrival into Cambodia.
- Digital passport-size photo: those applying for the Cambodian eVisa as a Portuguese passport holder must provide a digital photo of themselves in JPEG or PNG format that conforms to standard passport regulations. This photo must be accompanied by a scan or photo of the biographical page of the applicant’s passport.
- Valid email address: while successful applicants will have their online visa linked to their passport, they will also receive a digital copy of the eVisa via email. This copy should be printed out in physical format in case the holder is required to present it to immigration authorities in Cambodia.
Cambodia Visa Application for Citizens of Portugal
The process of applying for a Cambodian eVisa as a Portuguese passport holder only requires applicants to fill in and submit an online form. This form should take around 10 minutes to complete and asks for a number of items of personal information, including the applicant’s full name, passport data, reason for visiting Cambodia, family members living in Cambodia (if any), etc.
Applicants will also be required to answer a number of questions regarding their health status and criminal record. It is advisable to thoroughly review all information entered on the form before submission, as mistakes or omissions could lead to processing delays.
In order to complete their eVisa application, applicants must accept the terms and conditions of the visa and pay an application processing fee using a debit or credit card. Applicants can choose to upload their supporting documents (the digital photo and passport scan) when they apply for the eVisa or after they have submitted the application.
Travelers should note that all Portuguese nationals entering Cambodia, including minors, must possess their own, individual Cambodian eVisa. However, parents and guardians may submit an eVisa application on behalf of a minor.
Online Visa to Cambodia: Processing Times, Validity and Ports of Entry
The Cambodian eVisa for Portuguese passport holders is generally delivered within 3 business days, and applications are often processed much faster than this. However, applications can sometimes take longer to be processed. As a result, Portuguese travelers are advised to apply for their Cambodian eVisa at least 4 days in advance of their intended departure date for Cambodia.
The standard Cambodian eVisa for Portuguese Passport holders (also known as a tourist visa or “T” visa) is valid for 3 months once issued and will permit visitors to stay in Cambodia for up to consecutive 30 days. Portuguese nationals who wish to stay longer than 30 days on a Cambodian eVisa may receive a 30-day extension from within Cambodia.
Once it has been received, the Cambodian eVisa will allow holders from Portugal to enter Cambodian territory from anywhere in the world via Phnom Penh International Airport, Siem Reap International Airport or Sihanoukville International Airport, or by land from the neighboring countries of Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos.
Can Portuguese Citizens Apply for a Visa on Arrival for Cambodia?
Portuguese nationals traveling to Cambodia for tourism are able to obtain a visa on arrival at their port of entry in Cambodia. This option can be chosen instead of the Cambodian electronic visa. However, there are some inconvenient aspects to the visa on arrival that can be avoided by applying for an eVisa from Portugual. These include:
- Having to pay the visa application fee at the port of entry in cash, in exact change
- Having to bring a physical passport photo to be attached to the visa application
- Having to queue at the immigration desk upon entry into Cambodia
Health Advisories for Portuguese Nationals Visiting Cambodia
There are currently around a dozen recommended vaccines for Portuguese citizens traveling to Cambodia, including tetanus, typhoid, hepatitis A and B, yellow fever, and more. Travelers are advised to see their doctor to receive these vaccines at least 6 weeks before the date on which they plan to leave Portugal for Cambodia.
Additionally, travelers should stay informed of possible health-related developments in Cambodia in the run-up to their trip, in order to make sure they have all of the most recently recommended vaccinations.