If you are a US citizen planning a trip to Southeast Asia, don’t forget to add Cambodia to your list. For years, this hidden gem of a country was overshadowed by its more famous neighbors such as Thailand and Vietnam. However, more and more tourists are putting Cambodia on their list: With more than 21 provinces, 4,000 temples, and 13,400 villages, there are hundreds of things to do in the so-called “Land of Peace and Prosperity.”
Watching the sunrise at Angor Wat, visiting an elephant sanctuary, walking through a beautifully-illuminated beach at Koh Rong, or people watching on Pub Street are just a few of the things that you can do in Cambodia.
If you’re getting a sense of wanderlust and are ready to book your ticket to Cambodia, don’t forget to apply for your eVisa. Obtaining a Cambodia visa for US citizens is simple and easy, and will take you less than 20 minutes.
Cambodia Visa Requirements for U.S. Citizens
Before you can apply for your Cambodian visa, there are a handful of things that you need in order to submit your application. Here is a quick and simple list of requirements on hand as you fill out the application:
- Valid passport: Every traveler must have a valid United States passport before they can enter the country of Cambodia. You must also make sure that your passport is valid for a minimum of six months from the date of arrival in Cambodia. Otherwise, your visa application may be denied.
- Digital photo: The online Cambodia visa application requires all travelers to have a recent passport-size photo in digital format (either in JPEG or PNG format).
- Valid email address: Even though your eVisa will be linked to your passport, it is still important to have a copy of the document just in case. You will receive a copy of your eVisa via email address. It is recommended to have this copy printed out, just in case you need to show it to the immigration officer when you arrive in Cambodia.
- Personal information (full name, address, date of birth, etc.)
- Passport details (number, expiration date, nationality, etc.)
- Purpose of visit
What Do Americans Citizens Need to Get a Visa for Cambodia?
The process is simple and only requires a few pieces of information about you and your intended trip.
The only thing that United States passport holders need in order to get a visa for Cambodia is to fill out an application and successfully get approved for an eVisa.
How to Apply for a Cambodian eVisa from the USA
To begin applying for your Cambodia visa, you must start an online application. From there, the application will ask you basic information such as your name, surname, passport information, your purpose of visiting Cambodia, if you have any relatives living in Cambodia, and so on.
The process is very straightforward and will take most people less than 10 minutes to complete the form.
The Cambodian tourist eVisas (“T visas”) are issued for stays of up to 30 days, although it is possible to extend your visa for an additional 30 days (for a total of 60 days).
After you finish the application, you will need to wait for the approval of your Cambodian eVisa. The average time it takes to get an approval in your email inbox is usually within 24 hours, but sometimes it may take up to five days.
If you’re looking for an authentic Southeast Asian experience, look no further than a trip to Cambodia. To have an easy and stress-free experience, we recommend applying for your eVisa as soon as possible so that you can experience all of the amazing things that this country has to offer. Apply for a Cambodian visa today.
Visa on Arrival for Americans
Deciding whether to apply for a Cambodian visa online before traveling or in person at the airport is entirely up to you. Before eVisas, visas on arrival were the most popular tourist visa option for international travelers.
However, there are several factors to take into consideration when choosing to apply for a visa on arrival:
- You will need to arrive at the airport with the exact visa application fee in cash (there may be money changers or ATMs at the airport but it’s advisable not to risk to find them closed or not functioning)
- Besides your passport, you will need to bring a passport photograph with you as it will be attached to your visa application
- Prepare to wait in a queue at the immigration desk and plan accordingly
Remember that your visa is attached to your passport. If you lose your passport during your trip you will need to get an exit visa from the Cambodian authorities before you can exit the country (as well as getting an emergency visa replacement from your embassy).
The exit visa can only be obtained in Phnom Penh at the Cambodian Immigration Department. Your application will take up to 3 working days to be processed and will cost you around $30.
Cambodia Visa FAQ’s for Americans
The Cambodian eVisa is an electronic travel authorization intended for short-term visits. It’s also designed for foreigners who genuinely wish to visit Cambodia for tourism. This means that cannot be used for immigration purposes.
Should you come to Cambodia on an eVisa and then look for employment and start working, you would be breaking the condition of your electronic visa as well as the Cambodian immigration law.
This doesn’t mean that foreigners cannot work in Cambodia. If you wish to work in Cambodia or visit the country for a longer stay (for example, for academic purposes) there may be a range of long-term visa options available to you depending on your specific circumstances.
The best move forward would be to ask for information at the Royal Embassy of Cambodia to the United States or at your nearest consulate. You may also decide to hire an immigration agent to help you figure out your visa options.
There is the option of getting a Cambodian visa on arrival for US citizens. However, this is only available at limited locations.
You may be able to obtain a visa on arrival at a Cambodian land border crossing, but these are often overpriced by local officers and the application fees may vary greatly. Moreover, there is no guarantee that you will be issued a visa on arrival at these entry points.