Cambodia is a popular destination for holidaymakers from around the world, due to its stunning nature, ancient temples, and vibrant culture.
Thanks to almost 300 miles (443 km) of coastline and being home to the Mekong delta, Cambodia is also a well-known terminal for cruise ships. Tours often stop in Cambodia as part of a larger Southeast Asian itinerary and many travelers decide to explore the famous Mekong river on the water.
Very few countries enjoy a visa-free agreement with Cambodia. That is why most cruise passengers will require a Cambodian visa in order to visit the country. On this page, foreign travelers can find useful information regarding the necessary documents and visa for a cruise to Cambodia.
Is Cambodia Visa-Free?
Currently, there are only a very limited number of nationalities that can enter Cambodia via land, air, and sea without a visa. These include:
Travelers from other countries must hold a valid visa in order to cross the Cambodian border.
Do Cruise Ship Passengers Need a Visa for Cambodia?
Unless they hold a passport issued by the authorities of Cambodia or by one of the visa-free nations mentioned above, cruise passengers need to obtain a visa in order to go ashore.
There are several types of Cambodian visas available to foreigners depending on the circumstances of their trip. However, the vast majority of cruise travelers opt for a tourist visa.
Can I Get a Visa on Arrival in Cambodia from a Cruise Ship?
Cambodia offers foreign nationals the opportunity to apply for a visa on arrival as they reach an eligible port of entry. Unfortunately, visas on arrival are not an option for cruise holidaymakers.
That is because it is only possible to obtain a visa on arrival at the below entry points:
Cambodia eVisa for Cruise Passengers
The Cambodian electronic visa application was recently introduced to streamline and speed up the process of obtaining permission to travel to the country. The eVisa allows a stay in Cambodia of up to 30 days and can be requested completely online in minutes.
Unfortunately, the eVisa cannot be used to enter the Southeast Asian nation by sea. This means that those planning to reach Cambodia on a cruise ship will need to obtain a traditional paper visa and cannot apply online.
However, visitors who arrive by land or air and then plan on starting their cruise in Cambodia can get their electronic visa from the comfort of their own home or office. Eligible eVisa points of entry include:
- Phnom Penh International Airport
- Siem Reap International Airport
- Sihanoukville International Airport; International.
- Cham Yeam – Koh Kong province (land border crossing from Thailand)
- Poi Pet – Banteay Meanchey province (land border crossing from Thailand)
- Bavet – Svay Rieng province (land border crossing from Vietnam)
- Tropaeng Kreal Border Post (Stung Treng)
See the complete list of countries that need a Visa to travel to Cambodia
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- Hong Kong
- Korea South
- New Zealand
- Russian Federation
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
How to Get a Visa for Cambodia for Cruise Passengers
For those who are planning a journey at sea, there are several ways to obtain the right Cambodian visa.
- Most cruise companies offer their clients to take care of their visa as part of the holiday package. The passenger will need to provide the cruise operator with the relevant documents and the service is often more expensive than applying for a visa oneself.
- Visitors who book their trip with a travel agency are in a similar position as these businesses often include visa handling as one of their services.
- Passengers can always decide to apply at their nearest Cambodian visa or consulate in person following the standard procedure.
What documents do cruise passengers need for Cambodia?
Most foreign travelers must meet the visa requirements as well as the specific conditions of the cruise operator of their choice in order to board the ship. Usually, the necessary documents for a cruise tour to Cambodia include:
- A passport valid for at least 6 months.
- A valid Cambodian visa (if applicable).
- The cruise ticket. The name of the guest on the ticket must match exactly the one on the passport and visa.
- Vaccinations for Cambodia are not required by the government. However, cruise companies may have their own policies in place to ensure their clients’ safety.
- A credit card is asked by many providers to make sure that passengers can cover their on-board expenses.